Saturday 8 December 2012

Interview with Selby MC



A few months ago I spoke to a kid from my High School, his name is Robbie McKenzie and performs under the stage name Selby MC. Since conducting this interview he's gone on to win rap battles, Battle of the Bands in Diamond Creek much more.

Ready to go now?
Yeah mate.

Tell me a bit about yourself
Not much to know really.
I'm just an underground hip hop artist from Warrandyte doing what I love.

What is your main inspiration?
Sorry I didn't understand that, ohhh (laughs) I got you.
I obviously look up to the greatest emcees out of Australia eg. Hilltop, Bliss N Eso, Drapht ect.
but lately I've been discovering more local artists such as Dylan Joel and Eloji who I look up to.

What made you actually get up and start rapping in the first place?
The amount of times I've had this question.
I used to always sing along with songs and get all the lyrics out that I've memorized  Some mates told me i should start my own thing and rap my own lyrics, i agreed and wrote a song, it took me 1 night to write and about 6 months till i uploaded itbeing self concious

Well you must have shed all the self consciousness, I heard you won 3rd place at your school talent show.
Yeah it looks like that doesn't it, and yes I did place third and am quietly proud of myself (laughs)

What did the judges have to say about your performance?
Something about good stage presence, and stuff

You originally went under the name Biro MC, why the change?
(laughs again) I really just didn't like it to be honest
copped a fair bit of stick for it as-well.

Yeah, I think some people may have been surprised by the fact that you rapped
It was a silly name yes

How did you come up with the name Selby?

Don't know, it just came to me. Turns out to be a place in England.

What are your plans for the future?
Done my Mixtape now and won a few battles already think its about time i stayed quiet for a bit
But live shows if i can get some definitely.

I asked another rapper by the name of DeeYeM this question. Would you ever consider performing with a live band? As in guitar, bass, drums
Well, I've had ideas for all that stuff and i enjoyed collaborating with the boys over at Danitchy; who are and acoustic band and yeah it sounds like a good idea.

Have you ever been inspired by rap rock bands like Rage Against the Machine or the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
Yes definitely.

Rage Against the Machine have a political take on their lyrics, what has inspired you in writing your songs? Anything similar to bands like that?
Well the foo fighters have always insired me, seeing there songs and the way they go about things
love the sound of all there songs.

Rhe way they sort of have a humor to the way they go about their music, and in their music videos?
Yeah thats it, the way there so good but they treat it like its still there first year just having a laugh.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
But, as far as inspiration for the actual lyrics goes, who are your main influences?
That would have to be Bliss N Eso. just needing to hear the next bar they sing , the way they have so much wordplay and everything makes sense, its great.

What sort of topics do you like to rap about?
Well one of my favorite lines by Horrorshow "I used to write sad cause its easy,
then I like happy cause it free'd me"
and thats true writing happy shit is difficult but the best in my opinion and also like writing alot of punchlines and wordplay, I dunno that's just me.

Positive or self affirming stuff about knowing who you are?
Yeah

Anything to ad, might wrap it up
Not really mate, like I said theres not much about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment